Saturday, April 14, 2012

KORRA KORRA KORRA KORRA KORRA

"You know what Korra doesn't do real well?"
"Is it wait patiently?"

So when the terrible, terrible movie of Avatar: The Last Airbender was announced, I (like everyone else) got curious and watched the tv show. AND IT WAS SO GOOD. And then Rachel rolled her eyes and was so not into it, until I kind of accidentally watched it for 14 hours in a row on Thanksgiving and she cared against her will, because the fact of the matter is that A:TLA was amazing. It's so well put together that it can pull in basically any skeptic.

Obviously my favorite character is Zuko, because hi, troubled anti-hero with a heart of gold and so many feeeeeeeeeelings. That is kind of my favorite things. But if A:TLA had been around when I was 12 (which I suppose is actually the target audience), my absolute favorite would have been Toph. A seriously badass 14-year-old who yells things like "I'M THE GREATEST EARTH BENDER OF ALL TIME!" and is RIGHT, who can basically beat up everyone and take out a hundred thugs at once, who'd blind but still better able to take care of herself in a fight than anyone else, who's got anger issues but occasional flashes of real insight, and basically WHO IS AWESOME.

So when the creators announced they were doing a sequel series, about an avatar who's a teenage girl who's aggressive and impatient but phenomenally talented, who's basically a super hero in training, set in a world that's a steampunk take on Beijing with jazz-Chinese fusion music, where pro-bending is the sport of choice, and her animal companion is a polar bear-dog, and she wants to help people an do good but accidentally busts shit up, and she's got a wise but harried mentor and some fun kid sidekicks and makes friends with some brothers who include well-meaning comic relief and troubled and brooding and and and and and

THIS IS THE GREATEST SHOW THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED IN MY LIFE AND I WANT THE WHOLE THING RIGHT NOOOOOW I DON'T WANT TO WAIT A WEEK I'M IMPATIENT LIKE KORRA AND THIS IS ALL SO GREAT OMG IT IS THE BEST

No comments:

Post a Comment